"1.10 has been branched," DragonFlyBSD creator Matt Dillon announced, noting that the official release is expected soon, "no release date has been set yet but this coming weekend is looking real good now." Among the new features of DragonFly 1.10 are improved virtual kernel support, a new disk management infrastructure, improvements to wireless networking, and support for the new syslink protocol.
DragonFlyBSD has a stable release every six months. The current development branch is numbered 1.11, with the next stable release at the end of the year numbered 2.0. The 1.10 release has been delayed about a week while some final bugs were addressed. Matt noted:
"The 1.10 release is looking a lot better now. We are basically just waiting for a new pkgsrc bootstrap kit and a little more testing. All major issues except booting a machine with a USB root with EHCI loaded have been resolved."
From: Matthew Dillon [email blocked] To: kernel Subject: Release 1.10 update - 31-Jul-07 Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 15:45:14 -0700 (PDT) The 1.10 release is looking a lot better now. We are basically just waiting for a new pkgsrc bootstrap kit and a little more testing. All major issues except booting a machine with a USB root with EHCI loaded have been resolved. All the fixes made to date have been synchronized with the release. Both the HEAD preview tag and the release slip tag have also been updated. No release date has been set yet but this coming weekend is looking real good now. -Matt Matthew Dillon [email blocked]
From: Matthew Dillon [email blocked] Subject: Release Update - still delayed Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 16:38:51 -0700 (PDT) We aren't going to release a buggy system so the release will continue to be delayed until these problems have been worked out. At this point I am not going to set a date, because I keep saying "this week" and it keeps not being "this week". The number of bugs is tiny, but it is taking longer to find and fix them then anticipated. It could be this week, it could be next week. * The vinum issue is very close to being resolved and just needs some testing. * The EHCI issue is still unresolved, I'm working on it. * Simon wants to get a new pkgsrc bootstrap binary package, he now has more time to do so 'cause we are not releasing on Monday. * A few other reports with very little data are pending and may or may not hold up the release. -Matt Matthew Dillon [email blocked]
From: Matthew Dillon [email blocked] Subject: Release update Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 13:42:02 -0700 (PDT) There are two outstanding issues which I think have to be fixed before we can release. The first is that loading EHCI (usb) at boot time causes USB hard drives to fail to detect. The second is that 'vinum start' often winds up corrupting the whole kernel in a fairly scary way (causes unrelated filesystems to fail, panic, or otherwise have issues). So for the moment I am going to say we will try to release Monday instead of tomorrow, and I hope to be able to locate and fix these bugs by then. The release branch now exists and is viable. It is ready to go apart from the above two issues. -Matt
From: Matthew Dillon [email blocked] Subject: Release branching complete Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 15:35:05 -0700 (PDT) 1.10 has been branched. HEAD is now 1.11. 2.0 is slated for the end of the year. I finished testing USB booting. There is one outstanding issue where preloading EHCI causes the system to fail to attach the USB drives during boot, but otherwise it works if your BIOS supports booting from a USB hard drive. I will try to resolve the ehci issue before release but it isn't high priority. Now that we have branched the release is tentatively scheduled for Friday. We used almost the entire month to clean up for this release but it is looking really quite nice from where I stand. Sometime wednesday I will do some dummy upgrades from 1.8 to 1.10 on my test boxen to poke around and check whether all the upgrading issues have been ironed out. -Matt Matthew Dillon [email blocked]
From: Matthew Dillon [email blocked] Subject: Now branching for release Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 12:55:34 -0700 (PDT) I'm currently branching for the 1.10 release. The new HEAD will be 1.11 (and the year-end release will be 2.0). -Matt